Thursday, July 29, 2010

Second Best Handgun in the World!

For the last 2 years I have been working outside of the country. No big thing, just hanging out most of the time waiting for something to happen.

But during my time to contemplate I always come back and start thinking of things I miss most while I'm away from my safe. (No, wife and dog thoughts are for my other blog, lol.)

I have to say that I miss my Glock 19. For a short time I had one as a work gun, and it changed my perspective entirely. Originally I would have fought you tooth and nail that a Wilson CQB 1911 was the end all and be all. That if it did not have 4 & 5 in it you were crazy.

That was until I was issued a Glock 19. I proceeded to carry it to the range, and everywhere else for about a year. I was so impressed with it on my first trip home for some time off I took in a Glock .40 and traded it for a Glock 19. I then proceeded to add little things that I had already added to my work blaster. A Vicker's magazine release, a grip plug, and blacken out the sights with a black felt tip pen.

For those of you saying, why didn't you just get new sights, I thought at the time that it needed to be as similar to my work blaster as could be. And for all intents and purposes it was.

Suffice it to say I took that Glock 19 with me everywhere when I got home. I shot IDPA with it, I carried it concealed(thank you North Carolina), and I shot it at least once at week when i went to the range with my range buddy.

Like crack to a crackhead I was a newly reborn Glock-ster.

It's not like I have never owned a Glock. I had 4 already in my safe. The second pistol I bought was a Glock 21. I had enjoyed the plastic blaster until I had fallen head over heals for my all metal 1911.

But there was something different with this blaster. Like Excalibur rising from the lake it awakened something inside me. I had been spoiled by a quality 1911. I had assumed that all triggers broke at 3 1/2 pounds, and that 8 rounds was the end all be all.

So when I first started firing the small plastic blaster I was surprised I could not shoot as well as with my 1911. And that challenged me. I was not going to let this little blaster make me look bad. I was going to master it.

Several hundred rounds later I finally started to start placing little holes where I wanted them.

But then I left to back to work. And this time when I returned to work and was returned my duplicate blaster the green suiter's had shut down our range. And I was left dry firing for 6 months.

I guess my love story could have ended there. Six months later I could have gone home, found that dry firing had only done so much and put the plastic back in my safe.

BUT, it did not get me down. When I pulled the trigger for the first time in six months I was hooked again.

I was again challenged to master this strange little black plastic brick. And master it I did, for another 30 days before I packed it up and went back to work.

I'd like to say that this story has a happy ending, that I get to carry something similar. That I this that or the other. But no.

I pick up this same blaster every time I go home and I study, call me stubborn, call me thick headed, call me what you would like.

It did paid off, one day as I was waiting for the next days events at CRC, I had to go to the range and qualify. I swear I shot a 40, they counted 39. I'll live.

Oh, and they had us use Glock 19's.

It's not a 1911, but its a close second.

No comments:

Post a Comment