Monday, December 10, 2012

Training Scars...

Training Scars...

by Zef Medina on Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 10:25pm ·

Recently I was going through my Facebook scroll to see what was new and interesting. I stopped on a picture, read the comments, and then noticed the training scar in-progress in the picture.

A while back I took a number of shooting classes as I was trying to improve my shooting skills so I would not be placing last in my local shooting matches. I naturally started emulating the instructors rifles looking for the short cut to shooting well. I added a compensator(muzzle break), light(er) trigger, and a bi-pod(grip-pod). All the while I was still using a red dot optic, shooting at close targets. I loved my grip-pod. I could take it to a class, lay in the perfect prone and slowly squeeze off aimed shoots on a target at close distances.

I never used my ACOG because the instructors I was taking were not using magnified optics. It was not until I started working in Iraq as a security contractor that I found the benefit of a magnified optic. As a security contractor I spent most of my time not shooting close up targets in endless 'up-drills' but observing. I spent endless amounts of time on rooftops, guard towers, bridges, and even on top of a garbage truck on guard observing. So, what is my point you ask, my point is that I never used the light trigger, muzzle break, or red dot like I did for 'shooting' classes.

The training scar of using a tricked out class rifle made me feel like I could shoot well. It fooled me and I fooled myself. Marksmanship is not learned doing endless 'up-drills.'  It is learned using the equipment you will use every day at a realistic distance (100-300 yards). The last time I took a shooting class I used a mini-aimpoint, a stock trigger, and a flash hider and I forced myself to work on my fundamentals. I do admit, for one evolution I brought out my 3-Gun rifle with its light trigger, surefire compensator, and a 1-4 power scope.

The difference I noticed when I shot my 3-Gun rifle compared to my duty style rife was that it made everything easier. My sight picture was clearer, my trigger squeeze was smoother, and I scored higher. All I am saying is that before you rebuild your 'class' rifle to make it like your favorite instructor, figure out what you want to get out of the class. Are you there to show off your new hotness, or learn something. It is way easier to shoot a high score in a class with a bi-pod at 25 yards with a 2-stage trigger and break. But if you carry a bone stock M4 for work it may not help you when you really need those precious skills.

Originally posted:  https://www.facebook.com/notes/zef-medina/training-scars/416688348391317

No comments:

Post a Comment